Abu Dhabi travel portal wins Webby honour
Abu Dhabi, May 2, 2013
VisitAbuDhabi.ae, Abu Dhabi’s online destination resource, has been listed among top government portals by the 17th annual Webby Awards, the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet.
The Webby recognition from the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences named Abu Dhabi ‘Official Honouree’ in the Government category alongside brands like Nasa, New York and the City of London.
This is the first Webby award for an official destination portal in the Arab World.
Some 11,000 entries from over 60 countries contested this year’s awards with the ‘Official Honouree’ distinction going to the top 15 per cent of all work submitted that demonstrated remarkable achievement. Honourees were chosen by the academy’s international jury.
“Over the past year we have devoted considerable effort to upgrading our destination’s digital presence and this drive is still gathering pace with more product development in the pipeline,” said Khalid Al Hadi, executive director, Marketing & Communications, Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi), which owns and operates Visitabudhabi.ae.
“Naturally we are very gratified with this award which will spur us on to further expand the destination’s digital footprint.”
An upgraded version of Visitabudhabi.ae was launched in June last year with a visual, user-friendly look and a new information architecture highlighting what to see and do in the emirate, with more than 200,000 words in eight languages (English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese) and over 3,000 images.
The website’s multilingual hotel search, aggregating live deals and room availability from over 50 booking engines, was complimented in late 2012 / early 2013 by the launch of a multilingual flight and car search engine with real-time results, and a trip planner facility which allows travellers to build and share their virtual trips to Abu Dhabi.
Reaching over three million visits a year, with a daily average of over 8,000 clicks, further planned visitor experience enhancements include mobile applications on all key platforms: iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows Phone. – TradeArabia News Service
Tags: abu dhabi |
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador