Dubai allows use of jet skis
Dubai, April 21, 2013
Dubai Maritime City Authority (DMCA) has cleared the use of jet skis across Dubai’s coastline, with the introduction of new rules that cover allocation of resting areas for jet skis.
This follows the approval from Dubai Executive Council’s Health and Safety Committee. The move is based on a comprehensive study that assessed maritime traffic movement on Dubai’s inshore waters and beaches, said a statement.
According to the study, 300-metre buffer zones have been imposed around three Dubai beaches at Dubai Marina, Umm Suqeim 1 and 2 and Jumeirah 2 and 3 to keep jet skis out of swimming areas. This is the result of DMCA’s mutual cooperation and ongoing collaboration with Dubai Municipality, Dubai Police and other relevant parties, it said.
DMCA has further introduced a range of safety measures that need to be taken while using a jet ski, including but not limited to:
• Water sports activities can only be undertaken between sunrise and sunset
• Life jacket must be worn at all times when in waters
• Do not exceed the limit for number of passengers allowed onboard
• Be aware of the traffic, take caution, respect speed limits and leave a safe distance from other watercrafts and floating objects
• Do not attempt any activities in waterways or entrances and exits of marinas, ports and resting areas
• Do not attempt any activities near restricted areas
• Children below 16 years must be accompanied by a guardian
• Do not attempt any activities near the shores marked by yellow buoys
• Jet skis are allowed to stay at the resting areas for rest only, and must abide by the speed limits when entering and existing these areas
Amer Ali, executive director, Dubai Maritime City Authority, said: “Maritime safety is vital to reinforce confidence in the local maritime industry and further improve its competitiveness and promote Dubai as one of the leading international maritime destinations. The safety-oriented initiatives are set to pave the way for a safe, vibrant maritime sector and therefore support the economic growth in Dubai, in accordance with the highest standards of excellence.” - TradeArabia News Service