Oman Air to sponsor Oman Sail season
Muscat, April 21, 2013
Oman Air, the national carrier of the Sultanate, has announced a new partnership with Oman Sail that will see the airline sponsor Oman Sail’s Multi One Design 70 (MOD 70) over the course of this year’s season.
The sponsorship builds on the airline’s support over recent years of the Extreme Sailing Series, participation in the Route Du Rhum race between France and Guadaloupe and world record-breaking Round Britain and Ireland bid by the Oman Air Majan trimaran.
Wayne Pearce, CEO, Oman Air, said: “Oman Air is proud to once again be helping to focus global attention on Oman’s sporting achievements and its seafaring tradition. Our sponsorship of the MOD 70 will provide invaluable support for Oman Sail’s mission of encouraging participation in sailing within the Sultanate by showcasing the accomplishments of Omani sailors on the world stage.”
“We are confident that the outstanding skills and experience of the MOD 70’s crew will result in major success and help to further raise awareness of the Oman Air brand across Europe and South America,” he said.
The 2013 season starts at Valencia, Spain on June 6; before moving on to Lisbon, Portugal on June 13; Dun Laoghaire, Ireland on June 20; Plymouth, UK on June 26, and Baie de Morlaix, France on June 30.
MOD 70 will also race in the Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week Artemis Challenge on August 8, the Rolex Fastnet, from Cowes to Plymouth, UK, via Ireland between August 11 and 13, and the Transat Jacques Vabre, from Le Havre, France to Brazil between November 3 and 26.
Oman Air’s sponsorship of sailing in the Sultanate follows the directives of Sultan Qaboos Bin Said of Oman Sail, with the aim of renewing its ancient seafaring tradition and encouraging the participation of young people in all forms of sailing.
It also furthers the airline’s strategy of supporting the country’s young people to achieve sporting excellence and attain their full potential – an approach that has also seen the carrier sponsor Omani motorsports star Ahmad Al Harthy, the Tour of Oman cycle race and Oman’s national soccer team. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn