Oman Air plans to launch budget airline
Muscat, March 31, 2013
State-owned Oman Air, the sultanate's national carrier, plans to launch a budget airline to handle regional and domestic flights as a measure to expand its business, chairman Darwish Ismail Al Balushi said on Sunday.
"We are working hard on a feasibility study for the low-cost airline and expect to get government approval soon after," Balushi told Reuters, without elaborating on the plan.
Oman Air said its revenues jumped 21 percent to 347 million rials ($901 million) in 2012 on the back of rising traffic through the country's main airport. The carrier's operating loss narrowed 11 percent to 97.5 million rials last year.
"The loss is mainly attributed to the purchase of new aircraft because we have recently increased our destinations," said Balushi, who is also the minister of finance.
Oman Air added two aircraft last year to increase its fleet to 28, and the company plans to buy more in the near future, Balushi said without elaborating. It currently operates 15 Boeing 737s, seven A300s, four Embraer planes and two ATRs.
Passenger traffic through Muscat International Airport surged 16.5 percent to 7.55 million people last year, while cargo climbed 14.7 percent to 113,269 tonnes, according to the airport operator. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn