Flydubai to start new Sri Lanka route
Dubai, March 19, 2013
Flydubai, a Dubai-based airline, today made a special touch down at the new Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport in Sri Lanka, as part of the official opening day celebrations.
Flydubai’s chief commercial officer Hamad Obaidalla headed the delegation.
Meanwhile, the carrier announced it will start a thrice weekly service to Mattala International Airport (also known as also known as Hambantota) from May 21.
Today’s celebratory flight landed to a ceremonial water cannon salute before Obaidalla was met by senior aviation authority and other government officials.
Obaidalla, said: “We are grateful to the authorities for their continued support and for giving flydubai the opportunity to serve the Sri Lankan market. We launched flights to Colombo in July 2010 with a four-times weekly service. Following increased demand this rose to five times a week two months later, before daily operations began in March 2012. We are delighted to start operations to the new Mattala Airport, which will help to increase the accessibility and drive the development of the Eastern and Southern coasts.”
Through this second route to the island, flydubai continues to further support the Sri Lanka Government’s efforts to bring in 2.5 million visitors a year by 2016. The airline carried 104,000 passengers in 2012, recording a remarkable 67 per cent year-on-year growth.
Flydubai plans to on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from Dubai to Mattala International Airport, following a stop in Colombo. Return fares from Dubai start at Dh995 with return fares from Mattala airport to Dubai starting at LKR 31,365. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips