Air Arabia launches flights to Mattala in Sri Lanka
Sharjah, March 18, 2013
Air Arabia, the largest low-cost carrier (LCC) in the Middle East and North Africa, today touched down at Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport in Sri Lanka.
The inaugural flight which landed at 11:50 am becomes the first international carrier to arrive in the Mattala airport.
The maiden flight was marked by an official Air Arabia delegation and was welcomed by high-level dignitaries including Mahinda Rajapaksa, President of Sri Lanka.
The new Rajapaksa International Airport was inaugurated this morning.
“Since inception about a decade ago, Air Arabia has prided itself on being an airline of firsts. Today, we are extremely delighted to become the first international carrier to arrive in Mattala, further reinforcing our commitment to expand our presence in Sri Lanka,” said, Adel Ali, group chief executive officer, Air Arabia.
“We target through our new regular service to develop the tourism traffic between Mattala, the UAE and the wider region. We are confident that the launch of Mattala will bring great benefits to the tourism ties between the UAE and Sri Lanka, and will support Air Arabia’s rapidly expanding network in the Indian Subcontinent.”
The low-cost pioneer currently operates two weekly services between Sharjah and Mattala, to be increased to four times weekly starting May 19. On Thursdays and Sundays, flights depart from Sharjah International Airport at 21:30 and arrive Mattala airport at 03:50 next day. Return flights will depart from Mattala at 04:30 and arrive in Sharjah at 07:40 (local time). – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria
- Gulf Air launches loyalty promotion
- Hala Abu Dhabi launches tours, safaris
- Kenya starts work on $654m airport project
- Gulf Air wins top eContent award
- Dubai fund ICD buys landmark Atlantis hotel
- Qatar Airways to launch Dallas/Fort Worth route
- Ritz-Carlton Bahrain appoints new sales chief