Air Arabia Q4 net profit up 6pc
Sharjah, February 16, 2013
UAE budget carrier Air Arabia reported a 6 per cent rise in fourth quarter net profit on Saturday, helped by a rise in passenger numbers but still short of forecasts.
Air Arabia earned a net profit of Dh83 million ($22.6 million), up from Dh77.5 million in the same period last year, the airline said in a statement.
The earnings fell short of estimates of analysts polled by Reuters who expected an average profit of Dh91.7 million.
Revenues for the quarter rose 18 per cent year-on-year to Dh755 million, Air Arabia said. In 2012, Air Arabia carried more than 5.3 million passengers, compared with 4.7 million in 2011.
Sharjah-based Air Arabia is the only publicly-listed carrier operating out of the UAE, which is also home to Dubai government-owned Emirates and Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways.
It competes with other budget carriers like flydubai and Kuwait's Jazeera Airways in challenging market conditions in the region. Bahrain Air announced plans to shut down on Tuesday, blaming political unrest in Bahrain and continuing debt woes.-Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers