Etihad appoints new Cyprus general manager
Abu Dhabi, February 12, 2013
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, has appointed Rashed Saif Al Shabi as its new general manager for Cyprus.
The appointment follows the recent announcement that its former general manager for Cyprus, John Evans, would take up the airline’s position of general manager for the Philippines.
Al Shabi has held several key positions in the UAE and abroad, a statement from the airline company said. Prior to joining Etihad Airways in July 2009 as business development manager, he held various management positions at the Dubai Islamic Bank.
In 2010, and in his role as business development manager, he relocated to Etihad Airways’ Amman office.
Al Shabi was appointed Etihad Airways’ general manager for the Seychelles in January 2011, establishing the station and holding both commercial and operational responsibilities. He was also instrumental in developing and implementing the airline’s partnership with Air Seychelles, in which the UAE flag carrier owns a 40 per cent stake.
Peter Baumgartner, chief commercial officer of Etihad Airways, said: “The Larnaca-Abu Dhabi route plays an important role in Etihad Airways' network and provides a vital trade, tourism and cultural link between the UAE, the GCC and Cyprus. Al Shabi has a proven track record within the industry and great passion for what he does.”
“We are looking forward to his leadership and commitment bringing even greater results to our operations in the Cyprus market.”
Etihad Airways commenced operations from Larnaca to Abu Dhabi in June 2009. The UAE flag carrier flies three times a week between the two cities, operating a two-cabin Airbus A320 aircraft. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers