Image: Natursports / Shutterstock.com
Emirates enters 5-year F1 sponsorship deal
Dubai, February 5, 2013
Emirates airline, which has multi-million dollar sponsorship deals with Fifa and Arsenal football club, inked a five-year partnership with Formula One motor racing on Tuesday, beginning this year.
Emirates chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, who announced the sponsorship deal alongside Formula One commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, said it was worth "millions of dollars" but gave no specifics.
"In a five-year agreement, Emirates will become the global partner with Formula One beginning in 2013," Sheikh Ahmed said. "Motor racing fans will see our branding for the first time at the Malaysian Grand Prix (in March)."
As part of the Formula 1 Global Partner agreement, branding will be displayed on circuit bridges and associated ground signs and Emirates will make full use of the world-renowned Formula One Paddock Club.
The Dubai government-owned carrier also has shirt sponsorship deals with Italy's AC Milan and French club Paris St Germain.
Sheikh Ahmed said the airline's total sports sponsorship now stands at 1 billion dirhams ($272.25 million) for this year.
In November, Emirates agreed a new $239 million sponsorship deal with Arsenal that extends its shirt partnership with the north London club to the end of the 2018/2019 season. Arsenal's 60,000-seat home will also continue to be known as the Emirates Stadium until 2028.
The Dubai carrier is one of a number of Middle Eastern airlines to back major European soccer clubs. Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways sponsors English champions Manchester City, while Barcelona will have the Qatar Airways name on their shirts for next season after long eschewing corporate branding.
Abu Dhabi, the largest emirate in the United Arab Emirates federation, also hosts a Formula One Grand Prix race each November. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa