Qatar fund plans $1.36bn Italian hotel project
Doha, February 2, 2013
Qatar Holding, the investment arm of the country's sovereign wealth fund, plans to build four luxury hotels - including a 150-room Harrods Hotel - on Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and an autonomous region of Italy.
The massive one-billion-euro development project coming up on Sardinia's Costa Smeralds is likely to be completed over the next 10 years, said Italian media reports citing Arzachena Mayor Alberto Ragnedda.
The plan also includes a 200-room family hotel for the luxury market, and two others, one in Pevero with 90 rooms and one in Razza di Juncu with 75 rooms, targeting young people, the report stated.
The plan also includes an aquatic amusement park inside the Liscia Ruja reserve, a low-impact electric Go-Kart route within a former landfill at Abbiadori, expanding roads and water and sewer systems, and an academy to train tourism managers.
The project, which was presented by architect Tonino Fadda for Qatar Holding, is to be debated with environmental experts to make sure it doesn't violate Sardinia's landscape protection regulations, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas