Qatar fund plans $1.36bn Italian hotel project
Doha, February 2, 2013
Qatar Holding, the investment arm of the country's sovereign wealth fund, plans to build four luxury hotels - including a 150-room Harrods Hotel - on Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and an autonomous region of Italy.
The massive one-billion-euro development project coming up on Sardinia's Costa Smeralds is likely to be completed over the next 10 years, said Italian media reports citing Arzachena Mayor Alberto Ragnedda.
The plan also includes a 200-room family hotel for the luxury market, and two others, one in Pevero with 90 rooms and one in Razza di Juncu with 75 rooms, targeting young people, the report stated.
The plan also includes an aquatic amusement park inside the Liscia Ruja reserve, a low-impact electric Go-Kart route within a former landfill at Abbiadori, expanding roads and water and sewer systems, and an academy to train tourism managers.
The project, which was presented by architect Tonino Fadda for Qatar Holding, is to be debated with environmental experts to make sure it doesn't violate Sardinia's landscape protection regulations, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- 80 flights cancelled at London airports over fog
- Etihad mulls investment in Alitalia
- 25 countries set for Bahrain airshow
- Air Arabia launches all new website
- Abu Dhabi plans permanent cruise terminal
- ME to top global air passenger demand
- Britain eases visas rules for Emiratis
- Travelport-Hertz workshops update travel firms
- Airbus confirms $4.4bn Kuwait Airways order
- Emirates names key commercial ops official