Qatar fund plans $1.36bn Italian hotel project
Doha, February 2, 2013
Qatar Holding, the investment arm of the country's sovereign wealth fund, plans to build four luxury hotels - including a 150-room Harrods Hotel - on Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and an autonomous region of Italy.
The massive one-billion-euro development project coming up on Sardinia's Costa Smeralds is likely to be completed over the next 10 years, said Italian media reports citing Arzachena Mayor Alberto Ragnedda.
The plan also includes a 200-room family hotel for the luxury market, and two others, one in Pevero with 90 rooms and one in Razza di Juncu with 75 rooms, targeting young people, the report stated.
The plan also includes an aquatic amusement park inside the Liscia Ruja reserve, a low-impact electric Go-Kart route within a former landfill at Abbiadori, expanding roads and water and sewer systems, and an academy to train tourism managers.
The project, which was presented by architect Tonino Fadda for Qatar Holding, is to be debated with environmental experts to make sure it doesn't violate Sardinia's landscape protection regulations, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Orders top $100bn as Boeing, Airbus battle it out
- Qatar Airways picks US firm for nacelle service
- Oman Air orders five Boeing 737-900ER jets
- Jazeera grabs key ME market share
- Etihad, US firm ink smart technology pact
- Renaissance to host 'day of discovery'
- Boeing clinches $30bn Dreamliner-10 orders
- Accor overhauls Pullman, targets 150 hotels
- Gulf Air official reappointed to key post
- Loss-making Abu Dhabi TDIC sells key project