BIA registers above 20,000 for Gulf Cup
Muharraq, January 27, 2013
Bahrain International Airport (BIA) reported a significant increase in passenger traffic during the Gulf Cup Tournament 2013, with more than 20,000 football fans registered at BIA during the period.
Mohammad Yousif Albinfalah, CEO of Bahrain Airport Company (BAC), said: "We were pleased to greet this huge number of football fans at Bahrain International Airport, the airport was full of energy, not only by flocks of incoming fans, but by all employees at the airport as well."
BAC organised a number of meetings with airport authorities and partners to accommodate the additional flights organised by a number of GCC countries for their national team’s football fans, reaching a total of 140 additional flights outside the schedule, 90 of which for the final match day on the 18th of January (both arriving and departing), which led to a dramatic increase in air traffic and passengers.
It prepared for the busy Gulf Cup period with continued cooperation and coordination with partners to achieve the desired levels of service in all sections of Bahrain International Airport and provided a range of services to facilitate the needs of travelers and eventually make the travel experience convenient, a statement from the airport said.
“I am proud to see such significant joint efforts that contribute to Bahrain International Airport’s overall performance and we look forward to serving passengers during upcoming national events," Albinfalah concluded. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- 25 countries set for Bahrain airshow
- Air Arabia launches all new website
- Abu Dhabi plans permanent cruise terminal
- ME to top global air passenger demand
- Britain eases visas rules for Emiratis
- Travelport-Hertz workshops update travel firms
- Airbus confirms $4.4bn Kuwait Airways order
- Emirates names key commercial ops official
- Bahrain airport parking is streamlined
- Etihad announces new appointments