Dubai airport terminal revamp to begin in Q1
Dubai, January 14, 2013
Dubai International Airport will launch a major refurbishment of its Terminal 1 in the first quarter of this year, which when complete will offer passengers a vastly improved travelling experience.
The refurbishment includes more efficient and streamlined baggage screening in the departures hall, the replacement of all check-in desks, upgrade of baggage systems and the modernisation of all public areas.
The upgrade is expected to be completed by the end of next year.
The new baggage screening process will greatly improve passenger flow by eliminating a queuing point, reducing the time it takes passengers to move from the forecourt in Terminal 1 to the departure gates.
The additional space created by streamlined baggage process will be used to transform the departures hall into a more spacious and welcoming environment and when combined with upgraded wayfinding signage, provide a more easily accessible building for the travelling public.
The refurbishment programme also includes the reconfigured and expanded arrivals hall where all meeters and greeters will be accommodated within a fully air-conditioned space with new food and retail outlets.
The arrivals immigration hall is also being refurbished to improve passenger flow and reduce processing times for arriving passengers. The adjoining arrivals forecourt will be reconfigured to improve traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian environment for all passengers leaving the Terminal 1 arrivals hall.
Once the refurbishment of Terminal 1 is complete, it will be linked via a new elevated train system to Concourse D, which is currently under construction. Concourse D will become the new home of the more than 100 airlines that fly to and from Dubai International when it opens in 2015.
“Dubai Airports is continually striving to enhance the service we offer all our passengers while expanding our facilities to meet the growing number of passengers passing through the airport,” said Paul Griffiths, CEO of Dubai Airports.
“In addition to significantly increasing our capacity, the upgrade of Terminal 1 together with the construction of Concourse D will offer our passengers a more inviting and comfortable environment in line with the newer facilities across the terminals at Dubai International,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June