Qatar Airways eyes India airline stake
Doha, January 14, 2013
Qatar Airways is keen to buy a stake in an Indian carrier, a report quoting the airline's chief executive officer Akbar Al Baker said.
However, he said the airline was not studying any specific purchase in India, according to the Bloomberg report.
India is a huge and potentially lucrative market, he said. "Qatar Airways will be interested once we are sure the regulations and the laws are properly liberalised,” he said.
Reports earlier said Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways is looking to take a stake in India's Jet Airways.
Al Baker denied reports that the airline is looking to buy a stake in Alitalia SpA, adding that he had not been approached by the Rome-based airline.
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Turkish Airlines adds 4 new destinations
- Moroccan tourism revenue up 6pc in Jan
- City Seasons backs European MICE event
- Dubai T2 expansion boosts flydubai growth
- Etihad to acquire Abu Dhabi airport services firms
- Jordan airport sees record passenger traffic
- Boeing delivers 777-300 jetliner to Saudia
- Kuwait Airways signs Airbus deal
- Atlantis, The Palm, seeks $850m loan
- Emirates, TUI India ink agent agreement