The Boeing 737 MAX 8 in Alafco’s livery
Alafco confirms $2bn order for Boeing 737s
Kuwait, November 5, 2012
Kuwait airplane leasing company Alafco and Boeing have finalised an order for 20 Boeing 737 MAX 8s valued at $2 billion at current list price.
The order was first announced as a commitment at the Farnborough Airshow in July.
"This is the first order for the 737 MAX from the Middle East, which is one of the aviation industry's highest growth regions," said Ray Conner, president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
"We are proud of the confidence that Alafco has placed in the 737 MAX, and hope to continue this partnership well into the future."
The 737 MAX is the new-engine variant of the world's best-selling airplane and builds on the strengths of today's Next-Generation 737. The airplane will be powered by new CFM International LEAP-1B engines.
Along with the engines, aerodynamic improvements to the tail and the new Advanced Technology winglet, the 737 MAX will reduce fuel burn and CO2 emissions by 13 percent over today's most fuel-efficient single-aisle airplane, the Next-Generation 737.
The 737 MAX will have the lowest operating costs in the single-aisle segment with an 8 per cent advantage per seat over tomorrow's competition.
"Today, with rising fuel costs, the 737 MAX will provide operational cost savings to airlines in addition to being more environmentally friendly due to its latest quiet engine technology," stated Alafco's chairman and CEO Ahmad Alzabin during the Farnborough Airshow.
"These are the advantages that airlines are looking for in the current competitive and demanding environment."
The order brings the total number of 737 MAX orders to date to 878. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers