India declares five airports international
New Delhi, October 7, 2012
India’s Ministry of Civil Aviation has approved the declaration of five airports in the country as international airports, report said.
The airports include Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport, Lucknow; Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport Varanasi and airports at Tiruchirapalli, Mangalore and Coimbatore.
The move will fulfill the demand of state governments and offer improved international connectivity, wider choice of services at competitive cost to air travelers, reports said.
All these airports are capable of handling medium capacity long range type of aircraft and are also equipped with facilities for night operations.
Union Corporate Affairs & Power Minister Dr M Veerappa Moily said he was very pleased with the Cabinet decision approving the proposal of declaring Mangalore as an international airport. He said he has been keenly pursuing the matter for a couple of years.
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers