Abu Dhabi airport traffic soars 21.5pc
Abu Dhabi, September 30, 2012
Abu Dhabi International Airport saw strong growth in passenger and cargo traffic in the first eight months of 2012, outpacing Dubai's competing airport, according to figures released by the Abu Dhabi airport authority.
The number of passengers passing through Abu Dhabi between January and August jumped 21.5 percent from a year earlier to 9.68 million, while cargo traffic increased 17.3 percent to 364,905 tonnes.
Figures published by Dubai's airport operator earlier this week showed its passenger traffic rose 13.4 percent to 37.78 million during the same period, while freight volume expanded 3.0 percent to 1.48 million tonnes.
Over the last couple of years, the Abu Dhabi airport, home to the emirate's Etihad airline, has started to emerge as a significant competitor to the larger airport in neighbouring Dubai, where Emirates airlines is based.
One reason is the growth of Abu Dhabi's tourism industry.
Hotel guest arrivals in Abu Dhabi rose 15 percent from a year earlier in the first eight months of this year, state news agency Wam quoted tourism authorities as saying on Saturday.
Both airports are investing heavily in anticipation of further growth. In June, Abu Dhabi signed a $2.9 billion contract for construction of a new terminal, which is to open in 2017. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers