Emirates opens new Colombo lounge
Dubai, June 18, 2012
Emirates airline has opened its exclusive new lounge at Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), the first to be set up at the airport by an international airline.
Tim Clark, president of Emirates airline, and Mohammed Mattar, divisional senior vice president airport services, joined Mahmood Mohammed Al-Mahmood, the UAE Ambassador in Sri Lanka, Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa, Civil Aviation Minister Priyankara Jayaratna and senior aviation sector officials to open the facility.
Speaking at the event, Clark said the investment by Emirates of $1.5 million in this premium lounge is a further value addition to the airline’s offering in Colombo, as well as to the facilities at the BIA.
“Emirates is happy to make this investment, which also reflects our optimism about the prospects for growth in post-conflict Sri Lanka,” he said. “I understand that more international hotel chains are building in Sri Lanka and that the tourism infrastructure is being upgraded. Sri Lanka will therefore progressively attract tourists from the more affluent segments. MICE traffic is also increasing, and the country is attracting the attention of investors from many parts of the world.
“These developments are of particular relevance to Emirates, which is one of the most active international carriers serving this country,” Clark said. “We look forward to continuing to play a significant role in the growth of Sri Lanka, a country we have served with award-winning air services for 26 years.”
Mattar said: “For Emirates, passenger comfort is top priority, both in the air and on the ground. This lounge is an illustration of this commitment.”
“These dedicated lounges play a very important part in helping cushion our passengers, especially those embarking on long-haul flights, from travel weariness. Every effort is taken, therefore, to understand the needs of air travellers and to exceed their expectations in meeting them,” Mattar said.
Designed, equipped and furnished to the exacting specifications developed for Emirates lounges at 28 other major international airports around the world, the 5,778 sq ft Emirates Lounge at the BIA can accommodate up to 118 passengers in comfort. It is for the exclusive use of the airline’s First Class and Business Class passengers and Gold members of Skywards, Emirates’ frequent flyer programme. - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas