Travelport, dnata ink ‘API technology’ agreement
Manama, May 2, 2012
Travelport has signed a groundbreaking agreement with dnata, the Middle East’s leading travel management provider, to utilise the industry-leading Travelport Universal API technology for the first time in the Middle East.
Available in selected countries, Travelport Universal API (application programming interface) is a GDS industry-first offering the ability to aggregate content and travel related services from multiple sources through a single connection, leading to greater up-sell and cross-sell opportunities for travel retailers and suppliers.
Dnata is the first travel retailer in the region to gain access to Travelport’s Universal API, which provides a single connection to additional air, hotel and rail content not available on the core GDS, a statement from the company said. It has already begun leveraging Universal API to support its growing portfolio, including its recently expanded online business.
As an open platform, Travelport Universal API works side-by-side with existing APIs, allowing dnata to build customised applications that will enhance its online capabilities.
The technology will also help them maximise its IT investments by supplementing existing content feeds and functionality as they transition to the new content tools and resources, the statement said.
“By removing the need to manage and maintain multiple API connections, Universal API is helping us better manage our IT expenditure whilst streamlining our travel supply chain,” said Iain Andrew, divisional senior vice president, for dnata’s travel services. “Travelport has helped us simplify our travel distribution by reducing associated costs and complexities.”
“dnata now has access to next-generation technology that represents a reengineering of Travelport’s infrastructure,” said Rabih Saab, president and managing director for Travelport, Middle East and Africa. “Universal API underpins the GDS technology of the future, allowing for easy access to a world of content and functionality in a very simplistic and efficient way.”
Travelport Universal API is a key interface and central to the underlying architecture of Travelport’s next-generation technologies, including Travelport Universal Desktop, which is a groundbreaking booking solution that unifies travel selling and merchandising onto a single platform. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class