Dubai celebrates Calender, DSS anniversary
Dubai, April 30, 2012
Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment (DEPE) on Monday celebrated the first anniversary of the Dubai Calendar, along with the 15th edition of Dubai Summer Surprises (DSS) with guests and visitors at its stand in the Arabian Travel Market.
These two major milestones were marked by the cutting of a cake by Ibrahim Saleh, Festivals co-ordinator general and the deputy CEO of DEPE in the presence of senior officials of DEPE partners and stakeholders, including Dubai Festival City, Emaar Shopping Malls, Mercato Shopping Mall and Dubai Shopping Malls Group (DSMG).
Launched one year ago at ATM, the Dubai Calendar - the official listing of all events taking place across the emirate for the whole year - works as a multi-faceted vehicle to promote Dubai’s strengths as the region’s leading events destination, build its events sector, and support the city’s economy.
Commenting on the achievement, Saleh said: “We are proud to celebrate today two important milestones in the history of DEPE. With a portfolio of some of the most recognized festival brands in the region, DEPE continues to be one of the main pillars of Dubai’s success and a boost to its economy."
"Our events and festivals attract millions to Dubai every year, thus generating billions of dirhams annually to the local economy," he added.
The Dubai Calendar, he said, had far exceeded expectations in the short time since its launch.
"We imagined that the calendar would be successful, but to consider the incredible milestones that have been achieved over the past 12 months, speaks to its value and significance, both locally and internationally," he added.
The Establishment also took the opportunity to celebrate DSS – the region’s most awaited summer entertainment and shopping event – which was launched 14 years ago, and has since charmed the lives of thousands of families and visitors from around the world. The fifteenth edition runs from June 14 to July 14, 2012.
Saleh said, “Since its launch in 1998, DSS has transformed the way we experience summer in Dubai. More than just a tourist event, DSS has been credited with revitalizing Dubai’s economy throughout the summer season."
"The initiative supports the events industry, while sparking growth across the retail sector," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers
- Health insurance must for Saudi visa