Starwood to manage new Sheraton hotel in Erbil
Erbil, April 29, 2012
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, which currently operates about 50 hotels in the Middle East, has signed an agreement with BCD Company to manage a new-build Sheraton hotel in Erbil, scheduled to open in 2015.
The Sheraton Erbil Hotel will mark the re-entry of Starwood in the country after 20 years.
Located in the new part of the city, approximately 10 minutes from Erbil International Airport, the Sheraton Erbil Hotel is situated along the new ring road offering easy access to the city and its key attractions such as the historic Citadel, Sami Abdul Rahman Park, the largest green area in the region, and downtown Erbil.
“We are delighted to partner with BCD as we re-introduce Starwood to Iraq with Sheraton, our most iconic brand,” said Roeland Vos, president, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Europe, Africa and Middle East.
“The opening of the new Sheraton Erbil Hotel further underlines Starwood’s commitment to growth and expansion in the region.”
Saad Aldoski, partner, BCD Co. said: “We are excited to work with Starwood and the Sheraton brand on our first hotel development in Erbil. We believe that our partnership with a globally recognised hotel operator such as Starwood will set new hospitality milestones in Iraq and that Sheraton’s strong reputation will assist in further supporting Erbil as the country’s commercial hub.”
The new Sheraton Erbil Hotel will comprise 221 guest rooms and 39 suites. The hotel will also feature extensive dining, conference and leisure facilities as well as signature Sheraton amenities including the all-white Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed, a Sheraton Club Lounge and Sheraton Fitness programmed by Core Performance as well as a signature spa, including an indoor and outdoor pool.
The hotel’s business facilities will feature a 720-square metre ballroom, a conference centre, four meeting rooms and a business centre including six private offices. The hotel will also feature Link@SheratonSM experienced with Microsoft, a unique communications hub delivering the technology modern guests expect and require while on the road.
Located in northern Iraq, Erbil is the capital of the Kurdistan Autonomous Region and is emerging as the country’s commercial hub. The city is served by Erbil International Airport with a growing number of international airlines connecting through Erbil. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class