Hilton hosts crew of world's first solar ship
Cairo, April 1, 2012
MS Turanor PlanetSolar, the world’s first solar-powered ship which is making an epic round-the-world journey, dropped anchor at Hilton Hurghada Long Beach Hotel along the Red Sea during its last leg of the voyage.
The management of Hilton Hurghada Long Beach Resort in Egypt played host to the ship's five-men crew and held a special dinner for them at the property.
MS Turanor PlanetSolar is using a solar battery totaling 500 sq m as power for the long voyage.
On the last leg of their voyage, the ship dropped anchor in Hurghada International Harbor and the crew were delighted to be welcomed by hotel’s management and staff and treated to a well-deserved meal in the hotel’s restaurant.
The ship had sailed from Monaco on September 2010 aiming to cross the Atlantic Ocean, the Panama Canal, the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and finally the Suez Canal in order to reach the Mediterranean Sea.
“At Hilton Long Beach we encourage environmentally friendly activities and are keen to support and promote green initiatives in every possible way,” remarked Kamel Ajami, general manager of Hilton Hurghada Long Beach.
“Moreover, we constantly work at Hilton to come up with unrivalled innovative initiatives to stand out among our peers,” he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers