Berlin new Etihad Germany headquarters
Abu Dhabi, March 14, 2012
UAE national airline, Etihad Airways, has announced that Berlin will become its new German headquarters, effective June 1.
James Hogan, president and CEO, Etihad Airways, said: “Germany is the largest outbound travel market in Europe and a critically important part of our global network so it makes good business sense to be based in the country’s capital. This will also enable us to better leverage the benefits of our strategic partnership with airberlin.”
In late December, the airline increased its stake in airberlin to 29.21 per cent, making it the single biggest shareholder in Europe’s sixth largest airline, a statement from the airline company said.
Etihad Airways operates 25 flights a week between Germany and Abu Dhabi, servicing Munich, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf.
In mid-January airberlin began flying from Berlin to Abu Dhabi four times a week and this will become a daily service from March 25, when it will also launch daily flights between Düsseldorf and the UAE capital.
Hogan said moving the airline’s main German sales and marketing office from Munich to Berlin should also help stimulate local employment opportunities.
Currently, Etihad Airways has nearly 50 staff based in Germany while more than 150 German nationals work for the airline.
The airline said it will continue operate its three sales offices in Munich, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity