Berlin new Etihad Germany headquarters
Abu Dhabi, March 14, 2012
UAE national airline, Etihad Airways, has announced that Berlin will become its new German headquarters, effective June 1.
James Hogan, president and CEO, Etihad Airways, said: “Germany is the largest outbound travel market in Europe and a critically important part of our global network so it makes good business sense to be based in the country’s capital. This will also enable us to better leverage the benefits of our strategic partnership with airberlin.”
In late December, the airline increased its stake in airberlin to 29.21 per cent, making it the single biggest shareholder in Europe’s sixth largest airline, a statement from the airline company said.
Etihad Airways operates 25 flights a week between Germany and Abu Dhabi, servicing Munich, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf.
In mid-January airberlin began flying from Berlin to Abu Dhabi four times a week and this will become a daily service from March 25, when it will also launch daily flights between Düsseldorf and the UAE capital.
Hogan said moving the airline’s main German sales and marketing office from Munich to Berlin should also help stimulate local employment opportunities.
Currently, Etihad Airways has nearly 50 staff based in Germany while more than 150 German nationals work for the airline.
The airline said it will continue operate its three sales offices in Munich, Frankfurt and Düsseldorf. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Marriott opens first Courtyard hotel in Saudi
- Crowne Plaza names Bahrain sales head
- Air Arabia raises $350 million loan
- UAE tops region for tourism receipts in 2012
- Kerzner signs Jeddah One&Only deal
- Forum to map out Arab tourism strategies
- Turkish Airlines adds 4 new destinations
- Moroccan tourism revenue up 6pc in Jan
- City Seasons backs European MICE event
- Dubai T2 expansion boosts flydubai growth