Thursday 17 June 2021

Gulf Air pilots back after jet landing scare

Manama, September 2, 2011

The pilots and crew aboard the Gulf Air flight that skidded off the runway at Kochi International Airport on Monday have arrived back in Bahrain after being interviewed by those investigating the incident.

In a statement, Gulf Air revealed the crew met the head of the investigation committee, Indian Civil Aviation Authority safety deputy director S K Brahmane, for preliminary interviews but had since returned to Bahrain.

It was also confirmed that a passenger injured during the incident has undergone surgery at a nearby hospital and is recovering well.

"Gulf Air can confirm that the pilots and crew of GF270 involved in the incident have now returned to Bahrain after preliminary interviews with the head of the investigation committee," the statement read.

"A team of representatives from the airline's headquarters remains in Kochi to provide ground support to the operation, facilitate the recovery and repair of the aircraft and co-ordinate with authorities investigating the incident.

"The team consists of senior officials from the airline's engineering, safety investigations, A320 fleet and special assistance team.

"At this point, the aircraft has been parked at Kochi International Airport and authorities from insurance, Airbus and Gulf Air will be inspecting it pending the preliminary report from the investigation committee.

"The injured passenger has undergone a surgery at the hospital and is recovering well.

"The airline is in contact with all passengers who were on board GF270 with regard to claim issues. This is in accordance with international convention," the airline added.

The incident took place at around 4am when the Airbus A320, carrying 137 passengers including an infant, landed in rainy weather conditions.

The Bahraini pilots, aged 35 and 37, a Bahraini passenger, eight Saudis and a UK national were among those on board.

All passengers were evacuated safely as emergency procedures were employed.

Two Indian passengers were treated for minor injuries in the terminal building, while a third was transferred to hospital.

The three-member investigating team was appointed by the civil aviation director-general.

They are being supported by officials from Bahrain Civil Aviation Affairs.

Gulf Air previously revealed that a preliminary report was expected next week and would be followed by a final report in about six weeks.-TradeArabia News Service

Tags: Gulf Air | Jet | Pilots | landing | kochi | scare |

More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories

calendarCalendar of Events