Go-ahead for Star Trek theme park in Jordan
Amman, August 9, 2011
The planned Star Trek-themed $1.5-billion entertainment park in Jordan has come one step closer to realisation, reports said.
Funding for the "Red Sea Astrarium" has been secured, according to reports.
The 184-acre project, which has the backing of King Abdullah of Jordan, will be located in the coastal town of Aqaba and is intended to be a family destination, mixing cultural discovery areas with high-profile attractions themed around the popular Star Trek franchise.
King Abdullah is known to be a fan of Star Trek, having once featured in an episode of the television show 'Star Trek: Voyager'.
Construction is expected to begin next year with the opening scheduled for 2014. The project is being developed by Jordan's Rubicon Group Holding (RGH).
RGH said in a statement the park will include technologically advanced
attractions, five-star accommodation, captivating theatrical productions and
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- UAE hotel group launches Abu Dhabi project
- Jordan passenger traffic up 14pc
- Self-service check-in soon at Kuwait airport
- Gulf Air launches flight to Al Maktoum airport
- Jazeera Airways tops on-time performance
- Jumeirah inks Oman luxury resort deal
- Ritz unveils big Qatar National Day offer
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria