Sunday 21 December 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

Bahrainis allowed to cross causeway

Manama, March 27, 2011

Bahrainis working in Saudi Arabia were finally allowed to cross King Fahad Causeway after almost two weeks of being forced to return to Manama.

People who work in the Eastern Province had been reportedly turned back by officials since the unrest started on February 14.

An employee in a tourism company, who did not want to be named, said he had tried to cross the causeway for two weeks, but was ordered to return every time.

However, after producing a document from his company that stated he worked in its Al Khobar office he was finally granted entry.

'I was finally allowed to enter after two weeks,' he said.

'I have been working via e-mail and other applications in that period, but I'm glad I am finally in my office to catch up on delayed work.'

Another Bahraini said he was only allowed to enter the causeway occasionally but did not face any difficulties yesterday.

'I have been stopped from crossing the causeway twice or thrice in the past two weeks,' said the worker, who wished to be known only as Ali.

'But this time I was able to enter with less difficulty and no interrogation, which seems promising.'

A Bahraini businessman, who earlier told our sister newspaper Gulf Daily News (GDN) he had lost BD10,000 due to shipments not entering the country, was also finally allowed to enter Saudi Arabia.

The man, who declined to be named, said officials allowed him to enter the causeway after mentioning that the situation was reported in the GDN.

'They then allowed me to cross after almost 10 days of stopping me from entering the country,' said the textile business owner, who imports goods from Saudi.

'I can finally look after my business in Dammam myself instead of calling employees and giving them orders and customer service advice.'

The business is slowly getting back to normal, with hopes that customers will return in the coming days, he said.

'It will take time for the business to get back to normal but it seems it's getting there,' said the 30-year-old.-TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Saudi Arabia | Bahrain | transport | tourism | King Fahad Causeway | travel |

More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads