Etihad to mark Australia services
Abu Dhabi, February 23, 2011
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, this week will mark two major milestones in its commercial services to Australia.
The airline will celebrate the second anniversary of its Australian services, and the inaugural V Australia flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, operated by Etihad alliance partner, the Virgin Blue Group of Airlines.
James Hogan, Etihad Airways’ chief executive officer, hosted more than 350 representatives from government, travel industry and media yesterday (February 22) at Etihad Stadium, Melbourne’s premier sports and entertainment venue.
Hometown girl, international superstar and Etihad brand ambassador Dannii Minogue added a touch of celebrity and glamour to the event commemorating Etihad’s second year of service from Abu Dhabi to the Victorian capital.
Etihad tonight (February 24) will co-host an event with alliance partner Virgin Blue at the Sydney Opera House for 300 guests including the UAE Ambassador to Australia Ali Nasser Al Nuaimi and the Australian Ambassador to the UAE Doug Trappett to mark the commencement of V Australia flights to Abu Dhabi.
The flight, operated by a V Australia Boeing 777 aircraft, will mark the first time since 1991 that an Australian airline has operated services to the Middle East in its own right, a statement said.
V Australia will fly three times weekly between Sydney and Abu Dhabi, bringing to 24 the total number of flights operated by the two airlines between Australia and Abu Dhabi.
“The week-long programme of events in Australia highlights the importance of the Australian market to our business and our deep commitment to it,” said Hogan.
“Tomorrow’s joint service from Sydney to Abu Dhabi with Virgin Blue’s international arm V Australia marks the beginning of an exciting new era of cooperation for Etihad and Virgin Blue and opens up a new world of choice for travelers on our combined global network of more than 100 destinations,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- Saudi sees $5.3bn hotel projects in pipeline
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah