Gulf Air leases two Embraer 170 aircraft
Manama, January 21, 2010
Bahrain's state-owned airline Gulf Air has leased two Embraer 170 planes from the Brazilian manufacturer as it aligns its fleet with its shift in focus to shorter routes.
"We're leasing two of them; they will help us with the regional strategy," chairman Talal al Zain told Reuters on Thursday on the sidelines of an industry event in Manama.
The loss-making airline plans to shift its order book from wide-body to narrow-body planes and regional jets as it changes its route network.
It was previously owned by several Gulf states but had to realign its network after Oman, Abu Dhabi and Qatar gave up their stakes, partly in order to establish their own airlines.
It plans to cancel 15 routes and open 20 new ones as part of a new strategy to increase traffic in the Middle East as it seeks a niche between regional low-cost airlines such as Air Arabia and Bahrain Air, and state-owned airlines of rich oil producers with large fleet expansion programmes.
The carrier expected to make an operating loss of $510 million in 2009. - Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall