Dubai gears up to welcome QE2
Dubai, November 1, 2008
The world’s best loved cruise liner, QE2, will arrive in Dubai at the end of her ultimate voyage on November 26.
Once she arrives in Dubai, the ownership of QE2 will be transferred to Nakheel, said a company official.
Over the coming months she will undergo extensive refurbishment before taking her place at a specially-constructed berth on the Palm Jumeirah – where she will become a floating hotel and must-visit attraction for many thousands of visitors and tourists, the official noted.
QE2 has circumnavigated the world 25 times, crossed the Atlantic more than 800 times and carried more than 2.5 million passengers including kings and queens, prime ministers and presidents, astronauts and The Beatles, he added.
The legendary cruise liner had survived a 95 ft wave during Hurricane Luis, carried 3000 troops to the Falklands War and rescued 500 passengers from a burning ship.
She is also a record breaker for both speed and endurance, has featured in countless films and television shows and draws crowds to every port she docks in.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- UAE hotel group launches Abu Dhabi project
- Jordan passenger traffic up 14pc
- Self-service check-in soon at Kuwait airport
- Gulf Air launches flight to Al Maktoum airport
- Jazeera Airways tops on-time performance
- Jumeirah inks Oman luxury resort deal
- Ritz unveils big Qatar National Day offer
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria