Huawei climbs to No 3 in smartphone sector
Dubai, November 17, 2013
Huawei, a leading ICT solutions provider, has outperformed competitors in the smartphone market to become the world’s third largest brand, said a new research.
In the Middle East, Huawei has made significant strides over the last year by forging strategic alliances with leading telecom operators and distribution partners in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman, underscoring the company’s drive to increasing its overall visibility in the consumer space.
The worldwide smartphone sector grew at 38.8 per cent year-on-year in the third quarter of this year, said the research by market intelligence firm IDC.
Huawei shipped 12.7 million smartphones said Strategy Analytics in the third quarter while IDC found that it shipped 12.5 million smartphones. Bulk of its shipments went to Asia Pacific, while it also made headway into Europe, Middle East and Africa.
The Ascend P6 and Ascend G610 models were seen as the key drivers of the company’s most recent success, it said.
“With a commitment to product innovation and a customer-centric brand approach, consumers across the globe and in the Middle East in particular have seen the unique value that we are able to deliver in enriching life through communication,” said Jiao Jian, president of Huawei Device Middle East.
“Through deeper cooperation with local retailers, telecom operators, and direct engagement with the public at large, it will be very important for us to continue giving the public more and more opportunities to experience Huawei technology first hand.”
The popularity of Android is being seen as a common driver for the success of top companies, although analysts believe they are now faced with the challenge of differentiation across this platform to stay ahead in the race.
With multiple vendors launching flagship models and with the robust growth in Q3, IDC predicted strong momentum in the worldwide smartphone market going into the fourth quarter as the market is poised to reach one billion units for the year.
Over the course of 2013 Huawei has unveiled 10 different smartphone models including three world firsts—the Ascend P6, the world’s slimmest smartphone, the Ascend Mate, the world’s largest smartphone, and the Ascend P2, the world’s fastest smartphone.
Further, its global rise in the consumer electronics industry has been supported by longstanding strengths in ICT research and development. Huawei annually invests an average of more than 10 per cent of its total revenue into R&D with the company maintaining a total of 16 R&D centres and 28 joint innovation centres worldwide.
The company has been active in the Middle East for over a decade with ten regional offices that today include over 3,800 employees responsible for more than $2 billion in annual revenues last year alone. - TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet
- Italian fashion brand opens Dubai Mall store