Saudi retailer Alhokair Q2 profit up 11.8pc
Dubai, October 28, 2013
Saudi Arabian retailer Fawaz Abdulaziz Alhokair posted an 11.8 percent rise in second-quarter net profit on Monday that fell short of analysts' forecasts despite increased sales from expansion of stores.
The firm made a net profit of 282.08 million riyals ($75.21 million) in the three months to September 30, up from 252.4 million riyals in the year-earlier period, according to a statement to the Saudi bourse. Alhokair's financial year starts on April 1.
Five analysts polled by Reuters on average forecast the company would make a quarterly profit of 299.9 million riyals.
Alhokair said the profit rise was due to an "increase of the sales for the same stores and the successful opening of new stores".
The company's second-quarter turnover was 1.57 billion riyals, up 13.5 percent from 1.38 billion riyals in the corresponding period of 2012.
In September, Alhokair said it would open nearly 250 stores in its current financial year. -Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain