Majid Al Futtaim to raise $1.5bn loan
Dubai, September 3, 2013
Dubai's Majid Al Futtaim (MAF), the operators of Carrefour stores in the Middle East which is buying out the French company's 25 percent stake in their joint venture, is raising an extra $500 million through a revolving credit facility, a source familiar with the deal said on Tuesday.
The mall operator, which delayed plans in June to raise at least $500 million from what would have been the Gulf's first hybrid bond from a corporate borrower, will use the $1.5 billion facility to replace revolving loans totalling $1 billion.
The current borrowings are made up of a revolving loan expiring in 2014 and a term loan expiring in 2016, said the source, who asked not to be identified as the matter is not public.
The new loan would be priced at around 200 basis points (bps) above the London interbank offered rate (Libor), the source said.
The existing debt is priced at 250 bps and 275 bps above Libor on the three and five-year portions respectively, according to Thomson Reuters data.
MAF declined to comment.
MAF, sole franchisee of Carrefour hypermarkets in the Middle East, said in May that it was buying out Carrefour's 25 percent stake in the joint venture for $680 million.
The hybrid bond was expected to help pay for the purchase.
The unlisted firm is keen to expand its operations and is said to be in talks to buy Egypt's largest supermarket chain from family-owned Mansour Group. - Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder