MAF unveils $29m Oman mall revamp plan
Muscat, July 6, 2013
Majid Al Futtaim Properties, the leading developer, owner and operator of shopping malls and complementary mixed-use projects in the region, has announced a major redevelopment of Muscat City Centre and Qurum City Centre at a cost of RO11.3 million ($29.3 million).
The move is aimed at enhancing family entertainment and dining choices within the Sultanate.
Under the revamp plan, a total of 80,000 sq ft retail space will be added to significantly enhance the malls’ entertainment and leisure offer with VOX Cinemas, new or enhanced Magic Planet attractions and compelling dining experiences.
With all work projected for completion by early 2014, Muscat City Centre and Qurum City Centre will set a new standard of entertainment in Oman and reaffirm their status as Oman’s premier lifestyle destinations, said a top official.
“City Centre malls have established themselves as landmarks for the community and we are excited to reward our loyal shoppers by creating new and unique family destinations of an international standard,” remarked Fuad Sharaf, the senior director – Property Management for Majid Al Futtaim Properties.
“The redevelopment at Muscat City Centre and Qurum City Centre will significantly boost the emerging entertainment landscape and foster positive economic and tourism growth for the Sultanate,” he added.
According to Sharaf, Muscat City Centre will soon feature the country’s largest movie-going experience with a 10-screen VOX Cinemas, a popular cinema operator owned by Majid Al Futtaim Ventures.
With all screens 100 per cent digitally enabled, VOX Cinemas has invested in the latest digital cinema technology to bring a ‘never-seen-before’ movie-going experience for the community.
"Features of the new VOX Cinemas in Muscat City Centre will include the largest and first mega-screen VOX MAX concept, 3D-enabled digital screens, exclusive ‘VIP’ seating which offers larger, more spacious seats, a gourmet-style menu and flexible ticketing options," he explained.
As part of the redevelopment, the mall’s Magic Planet family entertainment centre at Muscat City Centre will also be expanding its play area by 20 per cent, increasing its total area to circa 19,500 sq ft to accommodate more dynamic games, rides and play options for the entire family.
"Muscat City Centre’s extensive food court will also undergo a complete refresh to offer a modernised dining experience. As part of this, the mall will welcome five exciting additional dining outlets and double its seating capacity to host more than 900 guests," stated Sharaf.
According to him, Qurum City Centre will also initiate a dramatic expansion project aimed at creating a dedicated entertainment and leisure precinct for families.
"The community-friendly mall will introduce a new 7-screen VOX Cinemas. Other premium features include the VIP seating concept and an exciting new gourmet menu that goes beyond standard cinema fare," stated Sharaf.
"In addition, Qurum City Centre is also catering to its large family audience by building a new 5,800 sq ft Magic Planet entertainment centre designed for young children with soft play areas, rides and redemption games," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet