Carrefour to divest 25pc stake in ME venture
Dubai, May 22, 2013
Carrefour, Europe's largest retailer, is in advanced talks to divest its remaining 25-per cent stake in its Middle Eastern joint venture to local partner Majid Al Futtaim (MAF), two sources familiar with the matter said.
Family-owned MAF is paying between $400-$500 million for the stake, one of the sources said, adding an announcement on the divestment was "imminent".
Carrefour, the world's largest retailer after Wal-Mart , has been cutting its presence globally and sold 2.8 billion euros ($3.60 billion) worth of assets last year to raise cash for investments and shore up its balance sheet.
The joint venture with MAF operates 48 hypermarkets and 42 supermarkets in 11 countries across the Mena region.
Carrefour was not immediately available for comment in Paris. A spokesman for MAF in Dubai declined to comment. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity as the matter is not public.
Unlisted MAF is keen to expand its operations in the region and is said to be in talks to buy Egypt's largest supermarket chain from family-owned Mansour Group.
MAF is set to issue a hybrid bond - which combines elements of both debt and equity - to finance the transaction, two other sources said.-Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia