DDF sales jump 12pc in Q1
Dubai, April 3, 2013
Dubai Duty Free (DDF) has recorded Dh1.6 billion ($438 million) sales for the first quarter, up 12 per cent over the same period last year thus signaling an excellent prospect for the retailer’s 30th year of business.
With the opening of Terminal 3’s Concourse A in January, DDF's retail footprint at Dubai International grew from 18,000 sq m to the current 26,000 sq m.
Commenting on the busy first quarter, Colm McLoughlin, the executive vice chairman said, "DDF had a very good start to the year and no doubt the opening of Concourse A has contributed towards this. The new facility has been well received by passengers and has enabled us to introduce a number of firsts, including a retail offer in Emirates First Class lounge in Concourse A, which is doing very well."
"We have also been able to extend our existing product range and introduce some new brands, some of which are unique in the region," stated McLoughlin.
According to him, liquor, perfumes and gold held on to the top three spots category-wise in the first quarter.
Significant sales increases were evident in many categories, including perfumes which rose by 16 per cent to reach Dh246 million, said McLoughlin.
"Confectionery sales rose by 16 per cent to Dh130 million followed by electronics which jumped 12 per cent to hit Dh119 million. The cosmetics sales too witnessed a 13 per cent jump to reach Dh109 million and watches rose 23 per cent to reach Dh99 million," he stated.
The sales in Terminal 3, which is dedicated to Emirates operations, rose by 19 per centand continues to be the biggest in terms of accumulative sales for Dubai Duty Free accounting for 61 per cent of total turnover, he revealed.
"However, the average spend of passengers in Terminal 1, which accounts for 31 per cent of sales, is higher, while the Terminal 2 sales rose by an impressive 22 per cent for the first quarter," he added.
McLoughlin said in line with its recent expansion of the retail operation, the recruitment at DDF continued apace in the first quarter with 648 new sales assistants appointed, bringing the total staffing levels to 5,717.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices