Western Digital unveils new 1TB hard drive
Manama, December 4, 2012
Leading hard drive technology design and manufacturing company, Western Digital, has unveiled its new WD VelociRaptor 1TB internal hard drive in Bahrain.
It is the latest addition to WD’s family of VelociRaptor drives and is available with capacities of 500 GB and 250 GB, a statement from the company said. Each member of the new VelociRaptor family is equipped with the high speed 6 Gb/s Sata interface, which enables unhindered read/write performance.
The new VelociRaptor is ideal for power users such as creative professionals and gaming enthusiasts who demand capacity, performance and robust reliability. It boasts a spindle speed of 10,000rpm, 1TB of storage capacity, and leverages enterprise-class mechanics and technology for 24x7 durability.
Demanding users such as creative professionals or gamers often face bottlenecks and slow storage can play a major role in extending processing or loading times, which ultimately leads to a degraded application or gaming experience, the statement said.
Tasks such as video editing and gaming can demand that large amounts of data be read and written, the latter of which puts an immense strain on storage devices that use write-challenged NAND memory.
The VelociRaptor’s 10,000rpm spindle speed, 64MB of cache memory and 6 Gb/s interface work in tandem to deliver lightning-fast performance across the entire disk’s capacity. The top of the line 1TB VelociRaptor also offers sufficient storage for a power-user to comfortably store software and other data that’s vital to their day-to-day needs.
“The region’s creative class including students and media professionals often deal with data-intensive workflows. They would benefit greatly from large, high speed storage that helps them save their most valuable asset, time,” said Khwaja Saifuddin, senior sales director, Middle East, Africa & South Asia, WD. “The same can be said of PC enthusiasts such as gamers who want to spend their time gaming, not waiting or watching their software stutter.”
“The high performance VelociRaptor enables creative professionals and gaming enthusiasts to focus on pushing their creative boundaries and enjoying their leisure time.”
In addition to being designed and manufactured to workstation standards, the new range of VelociRaptors feature rotary acceleration feed forward (RAFF) technology. This optimises drive operation and performance in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
The drive’s no touch ramp load technology also ensures that the recording head never touches the disk media, which results in significantly less wear to the recording head and media, as well as better drive protection when a drive is in transit, the statement said.
The new WD VelociRaptor drives are available in a 2.5-inch form factor, as well as with the IcePack enclosure - a 3.5-inch mounting frame with built-in heat sink that keeps the powerful drive cool and allows the drive to fit into a desktop or workstation’s standard 3.5-inch system bay.
Current generation VelociRaptor drives are also more environmentally conscious, utilising a halogen-free design, in addition to being RoHS-compliant.
WD VelociRaptor hard drives are available now at select distributors, resellers and e-tailers, and come with a five-year limited warranty. The retail price for the WD VelociRaptor 1 TB is $211, the 500 GB is $130 and 250 GB at $95. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet