Giant IT electronics show kicks off in Dubai
Dubai, September 29, 2012
Gitex Shopper, the biggest sales extravaganza for the Middle East’s IT and consumer electronics industry, kicked off on Saturday and will run for the next eight days delivering record deals and bargain offers on the latest gadgets and cutting-edge products.
Gitex Shopper was officially opened by Sheikh Majid Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the chairman of the Dubai Culture and Arts Authority.
Tens of thousands of excited shoppers thronged the halls on the first day, taking advantage of the fantastic deals on over 30,000 different gadgets and consumer electronics from more than 120 participating exhibitors.
Deals range on almost everything from the latest TVs, smart phones, tablets, and digital cameras to household appliances, gadgets, games and entertainment accessories.
Day one saw visitors enjoying the fun festival atmosphere at the event, with music, street dancers, DJs and competitions worth a staggering Dh50 million ($13.6 million) to reward lucky shoppers.
Visitors to this year’s show will be delighted with the central location of the show, which enjoys a dedicated Metro station just steps away from the show and additional trains put on for the duration of the event, said the organisers.
“As one of the most anticipated consumer shows in a highly tech-savvy region, Gitex Shopper works with our exhibitors to deliver a show that offers unbeatable deals, the chance to see the latest products being launched into the market, and promises to be a great day out,” remarked Trixee Loh, the senior VP of Dubai World Trade Centre, the event organisers.
“This year we have had more 120 exhibitors eager to fill the extra space offered by our new location, to make GITEX Shopper a 35,000 sq m showcase of the latest IT and consumer electronics must-haves,” he noted.
"Ample parking, a smorgasbord of food and beverage outlets and a range of interactive and entertaining activities will add to the festival atmosphere at this year’s Gitex Shopper," Loh added.
Technology turns greener every year and this year’s show includes initiatives by the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa) to showcase its “Do Good to Planet Earth” campaign, encouraging visitors to actively seek out eco-friendly advances in all consumer electronic technologies.
Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, the MD & CEO of Dewa said, "As the strategic partner for Gitex Shopper, we see our participation as the ideal platform to engage with our IT-passionate customers."
"With innovation at the forefront of our initiatives we hope to guide the public to improve their ways of energy consumption, not merely by reducing usage but also by using the right environmentally-efficient technologies. In this way we can drive greater individual and social contributions to the nation’s long term strategy for a sustainable future," he added.
From outdoor gaming zones hosted by celebrity DJs to street dance performances and hourly giveaways throughout the show, Gitex Shopper promises something for everyone, said the organisers.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet