Tablets, smartphones seen as popular at Gitex
Dubai, September 28, 2010
Tablets and smartphones will emerge as the blockbuster products at this year’s Gitex Shopper and Consumer Electronics Expo, said an expert.
“While laptops will probably contribute to 60 per cent of our sales at Gitex Shopper, we do expect to see tablets and smartphones generate more consumer interest this time around,” said Ashish Panjabi, chief operating officer, Jacky’s Electronics, the UAE’s leading multi-brand consumer electronics retailer.
“Tablets are positioned as devices where you ‘consume’ content whereas laptops are traditionally used for ‘creating’ content so we can expect to see the tablet continue to grow for the foreseeable future,” he added.
The company said the buzz around tablets, such as the Apple iPad as well as Android-based tablets that are due to be launched by other brands, could see more people buying tablets this year.
The Android platform is also expected to give the smartphone segment a boost this year along with the anticipated official launch of the Apple iPhone 4 in the region.
“Last year, BlackBerry phones were among the most popular products at Gitex Shopper but this time, we see Android-run smartphones such as those from Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Motorola and LG taking the spotlight,” Panjabi said.
“Nokia is also making a strong comeback with their latest smartphone, the N8 at the event. Apple iPhone 4 will also most likely be on sale and we expect to see a lot of excitement surrounding this with possible data plans from Etisalat and du,” he added.
In addition, Jacky’s Electronics will retail a whole host of products from digital cameras, mobile phones, gaming devices, televisions, MP3 players and other IT products, he said.
“This year’s Gitex Shopper is extra special since we are celebrating our 40-year anniversary. We are rolling out innovative promotions and special discounts on most product categories,” Panjabi concluded.
Gitex Shopper and Consumer Electronics Expo will run from October 16 to 23 at Airport Expo Dubai. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain