Savola to take over Panda through swap deal
Riyadh, September 25, 2010
Saudi-based conglomerate Savola Group plans to raise to 100 per cent its stake in retail giant Al-Azizia Panda United from about 92 per cent through a share swap and cash deal, Savola said.
Savola plans to issue 8.71 million new shares to Alhokair Group, and pay SR20.7 million ($5.52 million) in cash in exchange for latter's 7 per cent stake in Azizia, Savola said in a statement on the bourse website on Saturday.
The new shares are worth SR310.8 million based on Wednesday's closing price.
Last year, Savola paid Fawaz Alhokair Group SR248.6 million in cash and 7 per cent in shares in Azizia Panda to buy some assets held by supermarket chain Geant Saudi Arabia.
It was not immediately clear if the Alhokair Group Savola referred to in Saturday's statement was the same Fawaz Alhokair Group that had sold the Geant assets to Savola.
This would be the second time in less than two months that a Saudi family-owned firm agrees to sell its shares in Azizia Panda United to Savola Group. Savola said the Alhokair deal valued Azizia Panda United at SR4.3 billion.
Savola has in the past sold shares to the public in subsidiaries such as dairy firm Almarai and fast-food chain Herfy and has delayed plans to launch an initial public offering in Afia, its edible oil company.-Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain