Top personalities attend Rolex Awards night
Dubai, December 4, 2008
More than 400 eminent personalities from the sciences, environment, government and business communities around the world attended the 2008 Rolex Awards for Enterprise prize-giving ceremony in Dubai last week.
The awards ceremony, traditionally held in world capitals including New York, Paris, Singapore and Geneva, was held in the Middle East for the first time, according to a spokesman.
Among the internationally renowned personalities in attendance were chairman of the National Geographic Society Gilbert Grosvenor, distinguished heart surgeon Sir Magdi Yacoub; NASA astronaut Dr Kathryn Sullivan, polar explorer Erling Kagge, global sustainable development champion Yolanda Kakabadse and Egyptian member of parliament Farkhonda Hassan.
The evening was hosted by Rolex SA CEO Patrick Heiniger who was visiting from Geneva for the occasion.
Senior government leaders from the region were also present, including UAE foreign affairs minister Dr Anwar Gargash and UAE minister of environment and water Dr Rashid Ahmed bin Fahd. Arab media personality Georges Kordahi served as master of ceremonies for the evening.
Among the five 2008 Rolex Awards Laureates named during the ceremony was the first Middle East Laureate in the programme’s 32-year history: Talal Akasheh, a chemistry professor from Jordan, who is working to preserve the ancient city of Petra. – TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet
- Italian fashion brand opens Dubai Mall store