Gitex Shopper off to flying start
Dubai, October 18, 2008
Gitex Shopper and Consumer Electronics Expo, the largest and most popular technology retail event in the Middle East, got off to a flying start on Saturday.
Sheikh Majid bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, chairman of Dubai Culture and Arts Authority, inaugurated the week-long event and later had a firsthand glimpse of what lies in store for consumers over the next week.
Now in its 18th edition, Gitex Shopper continues to be a popular event. With exciting new additions to the show this year, none bigger than the action-packed Gitex Digital Game World, the show attracted a diverse audience ranging from die-hard electronics enthusiasts, casual visitors, serious gamers and expectant traders.
Gaming enthusiasts of all ages were able to try out some of the most popular game titles in the world at the Free Play area.
“GITEX Shopper has become the most anticipated event for visitors who are keen to avail of the latest launches and fantastic offers made by the retail giants”, said Helal Saeed Almarri, director general of Dubai World Trade Centre, the organiser of the event.
“This year the gaming tournament has certainly revved up the tempo of the Shopper”, he added.
Global vendors from across the region and beyond are vying for attention at the event. Over 25,000 products, including laptops, PCs, mobile phones, cameras, gaming & entertainment, consumer electronics, home entertainment, office automation and a host of latest technology like net books and blue ray based electronics are being showcased at the event.
In addition, the Gitex Shopper Mega Draw will entitle visitors to win exciting prizes including a Renault Safrane, home theatres, laptops and lots more when they spend Dh500 and above at the show. There will also be a “Visit and Win” promotion for an HP laptop.
Gitex Shopper 2008 will be held at the Central, West and East Halls in Dubai Airport Expo from 11am to 10pm from October 18 to October 23 and from 3pm to 10pm on 24 October.
Tickets are priced at Dh20 per person, per entry. Visitors can avoid the queues on-site by booking tickets online through Time Out Tickets.
New for this year is an expanded park and ride service for exhibitors and visitors in the Shaikh Hamdan Mosque parking compound in Garhoud opposite the Cambridge International School located near the Airport Expo.
There will be a continuous free shuttle service between the car park and the Airport Expo from 9am – 12 midnight from 18 – 22 October and 3pm -12 midnight on 23 October. In addition to this, there will be shuttle buses operating to and from major city points, Marri added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices
- BlackBerry goes back to basics with new phones
- Philips rolls out new all-in-one displays
- Nokia unveils affordable smartphone range
- MAF launches new community retail concept
- Huawei unveils five new smart devices
- Sharp previews latest Intelligent Touch Board
- Fujifilm camera offers world’s fastest viewfinder
- Ex-Waitrose outlets set to reopen in Bahrain
- Swiss jam maker expands GCC footprint
- Toshiba Gulf launches Windows 8.1 tablet
- Italian fashion brand opens Dubai Mall store