, July 24, 2013
Human skulls and bones are displayed at the Bone House (Beinhaus) in the Austrian world heritage village of Hallstatt. The Bone-House, which contains some 1200 skulls, was founded in the 12th century due to a lack of space at the small village's cemetery.
Graves were reopened after 10 to 15 years and the skeletal remains which were cleaned, bleached by the sun and the skulls painted symbolically with a crown of flowers, were moved to the charnel house, to make room for the burial of the newly deceased. The last bones arrived in 1995 and since then the deceased are buried in a cemetery next to the village. Picture taken July 20. Reuters/Leonhard Foeger