Friday 20 October 2017
 
»
 
»
Story

Libya's NOC says tanker will transfer oil from threatened port

TRIPOLI, August 19, 2016

Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) said on Thursday that rival forces had agreed to let a tanker dock at Zueitina port to load oil and take it to a safe place.

The NOC expressed concern earlier this month after reports of possible clashes between the Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) and forces loyal to eastern commander Khalifa Haftar.

The PFG has signed a deal to end its blockade of Zueitina and two other ports with the U.N.-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli, but eastern forces loyal to a separate government have threatened to block a resumption of exports.

Those forces recently mobilised near Zueitina and PFG positions, though there have been no reports of violence.

"NOC can confirm, that after considerable efforts, we have received the consent from all relevant parties to permit the Greek flag vessel New Hellas to enter Zueitina terminal in order that it will transfer a shipment to Zawiya refinery" in western Libya, the NOC said in a statement.

The NOC said the New Hellas would transport about 620,000 barrels of oil at a time to Zawiya, and that it would charter additional ships to finish the process as soon as possible.

The Zueitina storage tanks contain about 3,080,000 barrels of crude oil and 180,000 barrels of condensate, the statement said.

"I want to express my appreciation to all sides for heeding our request," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla said.

"It was the right thing to do and I think shows that when the opportunity arises, we Libyans can do the right thing. Instead of all being harmed, all will benefit." - Reuters




Tags: Oil | NOC | libya |

More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads