Total joins Exxon, Kufpec in S Sudan oil search
Juba, S Sudan, June 3, 2013
French oil company Total will partner with US major Exxon Mobil and Kuwait's Kufpec in South Sudan to search for oil in the restive Jonglei state, a senior lawmaker in the African country said.
Sudan's 1983-2005 civil war prevented Total, which has held a majority interest in Block B since the early 1980s, from exploring the 120,000 square-km concession in Jonglei in the east of the country.
Last year South Sudan's government said it was negotiating with Total to split the block to speed up exploration and raise much-needed government revenue.
Henry Odwar, chairman of South Sudan's parliamentary committee on energy and mining, said on Saturday the area was now being broken into blocks B1, B2 and B3.
"Now Total has gone ahead and, with a nudge from the (oil) ministry, engaged certain partners. Exxon Mobil and Kufpec have been brought in to be a partner in Block B1," Odwar told Reuters in an interview.
Another industry insider has told Reuters the deals are yet to be finalised but block B2 is likely to be held by the same partnership of companies. The government is yet to decide on the fate of B3, the source says.
Exxon declined to comment, while Total and Kufpec, Kuwait's state oil exploration arm, could not be immediately reached.
In May, South Sudan restarted oil production in its main oil fields, ending a 16-month shutdown triggered by a dispute with Khartoum over pipeline fees.
South Sudan wants to start exploration in Block B1, B2 and B3 because of declining reserves in its main producing fields where state-owned China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC), Malaysia's Petronas and India's ONGC Videsh are active.
Enduring mistrust with between the two Sudans means the South is keen to build alternative pipelines through Kenya or through Ethiopia to Djibouti.
But oil industry analysts say such a project would be hardly viable without new oil discoveries in commercial quantities.
The government is pinning its hopes of fresh finds on blocks B1, B2 and B3 but any exploration plans in the short term would likely be hampered by escalating fighting between the army and rebels led by David Yau Yau. – Reuters
More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories
- Egypt to permit factories to use coal for energy
- ME oil, gas transaction value up 15pc
- Victrex to showcase new product in Paris
- Aramco JV puts off giant refinery overhaul to 2015
- Libya threatens to bomb N Korean tanker
- Bahrain 'producing 850MW of surplus power'
- 2,000 experts for Bahrain geosciences summit
- Libyan rebels start oil exports, bypassing govt
- Dubai drilling company set for London IPO
- Opec output soars on higher Iraq exports
- S Korea to pay Iran $550m under nuke deal
- Qatar LPG exports will stay unchanged till 2018
- $14bn Bahrain energy sector focus for summit
- Iraq now world's fastest-growing oil exporter
- Old IT systems pose risk to oil firms
- Thomson Reuters adds commodity monitoring tool
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- GlassPoint appoints new Oman director
- Sheffield company opens Dubai hub
- Oman targets big rise in gas output
- Intertek buys UAE firm for $66m
- Qaiwan to tender Baizan refinery EPC contract
- Al Maha wins Oman Air fuel supply deal
- Iran to become top gas importer by 2025
- UAE hydrocarbon projects seen hitting $11bn
- Summit focus on occupational safety
- Aramco names new senior VP
- Siemens gets $253m Qatar power contract
- Taqa-led group's India deal worth $1.6bn
- Taqa-led group to buy India power plants