Taqa launches Ghana power plant project
Abu Dhabi, April 9, 2013
Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (Taqa) on Tuesday celebrated the ground-breaking ceremony of its new Takoradi 2 power plant expansion project in Ghana.
Once complete, the plant will account for approximately 15 per cent of Ghana’s generation capacity, providing power to more than a million people.
The ceremony was held at Takoradi in the presence of Ghanian President John Dramani Mahama, Minister of Energy of Ghana Emmanual Armah-Kofi Buah and Assistant Foreign Minister for Economic Affairs for the UAE Khalid Al-Ghaith
Addressing the gathering, Mahama said: "The Takoradi 2 expansion project reflects our energy for growth programme aimed at increasing investments in the energy sector to build capacity for the future. The role of independent power producers has become vital and the partnership of Taqa and VRA has demonstrated that Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP) work in Ghana."
"The plant’s excellent record of over 95 per cent availability since 2000 is not only a demonstration of the successful implementation of the PPP framework but also the significant development of technology capacity of Ghana," he added.
In his comments, Khalid Al-Ghaith said, "We are encouraging investments in Africa and will continue to back our sovereign companies such as Taqa. We look forward to strengthen the relationship between Ghana and UAE and look forward to seeing more official visits and further agreements."
Taqa CEO Carl Sheldon said the Takoradi 2 power plant expansion project builds on the company's position as a trusted operator of strategic energy infrastructure in Ghana.
"By deploying a world-class combined cycle turbine in Takoradi, we are helping Ghana to meet its growing energy needs while increasing the efficiency of the electricity generation system," he noted.
Taqa had acquired a 90 per cent share in the Takoradi 2 plant in 2007. The Volta River Authority (VRA), the main generator of electricity in Ghana, holds the remaining 10 per cent. Taqa is operator of the facility.
The Abu Dhabi firm had obtained Ghanaian government approvals last year and completed the project financing arrangements in January. The expansion, being built by Mitsui & Co (Japan) and Kepco E&C (Korea), is scheduled for commissioning in the fourth quarter of 2014.
Takoradi 2 is Taqa’s second expansion project in Africa following the $1.6 billion expansion of the company’s Jorf Lasfar power plant in Morocco.-TradeArabia News Service
More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories
- GE Power Conversion wins major SEC order
- Basra Light crude exports to rebound in April
- Aramco to produce unconventional gas for projects
- Alstom opens smart grid centre in Dubai
- Experts discuss key geosciences issues
- Egypt to permit factories to use coal for energy
- ME oil, gas transaction value up 15pc
- Victrex to showcase new product in Paris
- Aramco JV puts off giant refinery overhaul to 2015
- Libya threatens to bomb N Korean tanker
- Bahrain 'producing 850MW of surplus power'
- 2,000 experts for Bahrain geosciences summit
- Libyan rebels start oil exports, bypassing govt
- Dubai drilling company set for London IPO
- Opec output soars on higher Iraq exports
- S Korea to pay Iran $550m under nuke deal
- Qatar LPG exports will stay unchanged till 2018
- $14bn Bahrain energy sector focus for summit
- Iraq now world's fastest-growing oil exporter
- Old IT systems pose risk to oil firms
- Thomson Reuters adds commodity monitoring tool
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- GlassPoint appoints new Oman director
- Sheffield company opens Dubai hub
- Oman targets big rise in gas output
- Intertek buys UAE firm for $66m
- Qaiwan to tender Baizan refinery EPC contract
- Al Maha wins Oman Air fuel supply deal
- Iran to become top gas importer by 2025
- UAE hydrocarbon projects seen hitting $11bn