Taqa finds oil in Scottish Sea field
Abu Dhabi, February 17, 2013
Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (Taqa) has discovered oil in a new North Sea field off Scotland, Taqa said on Sunday.
Two columns of oil have been found since drilling began in November at the Darwin field near the Shetland Islands, Taqa, which acquired a 50 per cent interest in the exploration area in early 2012, said.
The state-owned company said in a statement it was still evaluating Darwin's reserve potential and that work on one well had been suspended pending further tests.
"This discovery proves that the North Sea still has great potential," said Leo Koot, managing director of Taqa's UK oil and gas business.
Darwin is close to the Taqa-operated Cormorant South, North Cormorant and Pelican fields in the Northern North Sea.
The UAE-based company shut the neighbouring Cormorant Alpha platform in mid-January after discovering an oil leak in one of its legs.
The leak also prompted Taqa to shut the Brent pipeline system, which runs through the Cormorant Alpha platform, for a few days as a precaution.
In November, the company which is 75-per cent owned by the government of Abu Dhabi, agreed to buy some BP North Sea assets for over $1.3 billion.-Reuters
More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories
- S Korea to pay Iran $550m under nuke deal
- Qatar LPG exports will stay unchanged till 2018
- $14bn Bahrain energy sector focus for summit
- Iraq now world's fastest-growing oil exporter
- Old IT systems pose risk to oil firms
- Thomson Reuters adds commodity monitoring tool
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- GlassPoint appoints new Oman director
- Sheffield company opens Dubai hub
- Oman targets big rise in gas output
- Intertek buys UAE firm for $66m
- Qaiwan to tender Baizan refinery EPC contract
- Al Maha wins Oman Air fuel supply deal
- Iran to become top gas importer by 2025
- UAE hydrocarbon projects seen hitting $11bn
- Summit focus on occupational safety
- Aramco names new senior VP
- Siemens gets $253m Qatar power contract
- Taqa-led group's India deal worth $1.6bn
- Taqa-led group to buy India power plants
- Iraq oil exports hit record 2.8m bpd
- Korean refiners eye more Iraq crude
- Dana starts Egypt gas plant upgrade
- Opec oil production hits new high in Feb
- Taqa-led group to buy Indian hydropower plants
- Schneider gets energy management certification
- Morocco moves ahead with $1.7bn wind farms
- Iraq approves power plant investments
- 670,000 oil & gas wells ‘need to be drilled’
- Qatar bourse celebrates Mesaieed listing