BMW i8 debuts at Frankfurt show
Frankfurt, September 11, 2013
German automaker BMW featured a line-up five models, including the global debut of the highly anticipated BMW i8, at the International Motor Show (IAA) that for opened in Frankfurt for the media yesterday.
BMW’s new range at the show also included the BMW i3, BMW X5, BMW 5 Series and BMW 4 Series Coupé models.
Arriving in the Middle East in the first quarter of 2014, the BMW i8 is an extremely fuel efficient plug-in, high performance vehicle with the fuel consumption and emissions of a small vehicle – it is the most progressive and innovative sports car of all time, a statement said.
It is also joined at the IAA by the visionary BMW i3, the Group’s first all-electric car designed for use in major cities. Heralding a new era in mobility, the BMW i8 and i3 showcase the ongoing development and potential breadth of the BMW i portfolio, and highlight how high-performance, zero-emission mobility can also deliver emotional excitement and sheer appeal.
Both models are built around BMW eDrive technology, which will provide a unique driving experience in all future BMW electric and plug-in hybrid models. These BMW eDrive powertrains, comprising an electric motor, lithium-ion battery and intelligent powertrain management, form the core of all BMW i models.
Neither of these two cars will incorporate steel in their bodyframe; instead they will be produced with a passenger cell made from carbon – a first in the automotive industry.
Joining the BMW i models in making their debut at the 2013 IAA will be the third generation of the BMW X5, a regular amongst BMW Group Middle East’s best-sellers.
This dynamic model will offer customers new standards in powerful design, luxurious spaciousness, cutting-edge versatility and efficient driving pleasure. Under the bonnet lies the model’s enhanced output engine which allows the new BMW X5 xDrive50i to sprint from 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.0 seconds with an optional V8 unit available.
Already a leader in the executive saloon segment both globally and in the Middle East, the current generation of the BMW 5 Series is the premium automotive manufacturer’s best-selling so far.
The IAA 2013 will witness the unveiling of the new BMW 5 Series, which is set to extend the model series’ market lead even further and be a continued driving force behind future sales achievements with its design modifications and technology enhancements. These, coupled with innovative new features to the range of BMW ConnectedDrive technology, will all raise the appeal of the BMW 5 Series model family a notch higher.
The fifth and final model to be revealed at the show will be the all-new BMW 4 Series Coupé, which heralds the dawn of a new coupé era at BMW and embodies the very essence of aesthetic appeal and dynamics in the premium segment.
On the outside the model’s stylistic features carry the promise of a powerful presence on the road while the stand-out dynamic ability and driving pleasure is in abundance. Under the bonnet lies a six-speed manual gearbox as standard or an eight-speed Sports automatic gear box alongside a TwinPower Turbo six-cylinder in-line petrol engine in the BMW 435i Coupé, and the four-cylinder petrol unit for the BMW 428i Coupé. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi