2014 Bahrain GP set to be held as 'night race'
Manama, September 9, 2013
The 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix will be held as a night race to celebrate the event's landmark 10th anniversary, a report said.
This was revealed yesterday by leading motor racing website AUTOSPORT, citing Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) chairman Zayed R Alzayani who was speaking on the sidelines of the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, according to the report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
Alzayani explained that Bahrain has been in close talks with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone regarding their plans to host the night race.
He added that the world-class desert race track in Sakhir is undergoing "a major refurbishment" to make it more suited for night racing.
Bahrain had originally hoped to host the first race next year in order to mark the special occasion. However, things may now be different following the release last week of a draft of the 2014 calendar, which has Bahrain pencilled in as the fifth of 21 grands prix on April 27.
That would give BIC enough time to complete the upgrades needed for a night event.
Alzayani told AUTOSPORT: "We requested from Bernie not to be the first grand prix of the year because we are undergoing a major refurbishment of our track to commemorate the 10th anniversary.
"We didn't want to be squeezed for time."
Of the changes, the circuit boss added: "There are many things, but the highlight will be a night race."
AUTOSPORT said that an official announcement from BIC regarding the night race is expected to be made soon.
Bahrain has yet to host Formula One racing under floodlights, but has successfully staged other major international events at night, such as the Six Hours of Bahrain which is a part of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC).
The WEC first held its only Middle Eastern event last year in Sakhir, and will be returning at the end of November as the grand finale of the 2013 season. – TradeArabia News Service