Saudi car imports edge 1 million in 2012
Jeddah, August 15, 2013
Saudi Arabia imported 982,000 vehicles in 2012, as against 737,000 in the preceding year, marking an increase of 33 per cent, a report said.
The value of vehicle imports in 2012 reached SR76.6 billion ($20.4 billion), reflecting an increase of 42 percent over 2011, the Saudi Gazette quoted the Central Statistics Department (CSD) report published by Al-Madinah newspaper.
The US claimed the top spot as a car exporter to Saudi Arabia for the second straight year, with South Korea taking the second place, beating Japan into third place.
The CSD report highlighted that the value of 215,000 car exports from the US to Saudi Arabia amounted SR20.59 billion, while and 207,000 cars were imported from South Korea.
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota Corolla launched in the UAE
- Audi to develop new compact SUV
- UAE cars in new Guinness record bid
- Chevrolet Silverado wins top award
- Drive Dubai to open 2 new branches
- Hertz opens branch at Dubai World Central
- Motor Show boost for automotive industry
- Bahrain technician wins GCC skills contest
- Bahrain tests lighting for F1 night race
- French carmakers race to reclaim Iran