Daimler plans to build new Brazil plant
Frankfurt, August 5, 2013
German carmaker Daimler plans to build a new plant in Brazil as rising taxes on foreign vehicles make it more difficult to sell imported cars in the Latin American country, a report said.
Daimler's luxury brand Mercedes-Benz is to begin assembling C-Class model cars in Brazil by 2015, with a starting capacity of about 20,000 vehicles per year, German weekly Der Spiegel reported, without saying where it got the information, according to the report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
A spokesman for Daimler said the company was considering such a move but had made no decision yet.
"We are looking at Brazil, just like various other locations," he said.
Luxury carmakers are flocking to Brazil in an attempt to exploit growing demand there. Brazil's government complicated their plans, though, with a drive to protect local jobs by increasing a tax on foreign-made cars last year.
BMW announced plans for a new assembly plant in Brazil last October and Audi is to decide next year whether to start making cars in Brazil.
Setting up a new plant in Brazil would not be Daimler's first foray into the world's fourth-biggest auto market.
It made the Mercedes-Benz A-Class in its Juiz de Fora plant from 1999, making it the first luxury carmaker to build vehicles in Brazil.
But it ceased car production there in December 2010 and refitted the site for the manufacture of commercial trucks.
Der Spiegel said yesterday that Daimler would decide in the coming months where in Brazil to build the new plant. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners
- Infiniti to appoint Al Ghassan as Saudi dealer