Sembcorp Salalah sponsors road safety campaign
Salalah, July 31, 2013
Sembcorp Salalah, an Oman-based power and water company, sponsored a major road safety campaign in Mirbat recently.
The four-month campaign was launched by the Wali of Mirbat Sheikh Saif Ahmed Said Al Ghribi.
It aims to raise awareness of unsafe driving practices that can lead to accidents and fatalities. It attempts to educate drivers on speeding, overtaking, techniques for crossing wadis and on the importance of adhering to road and traffic regulations.
The campaign is supported by the Royal Oman Police and various local businesses and government departments.
Sheikh Saif said: “Too many people die on Oman’s roads each year. The loss of human life places a huge toll on families, friends and on the community as a whole. The cost of emergency services, medical care, and human grief is enormous and we must all play a part in improving the current situation.”
The Royal Oman Police statistics for 2012 reveals that road accidents led to one case of injury every hour and one death reported every eight hours. A total of 1,139 people were killed in road accidents across the country in 2012.
The campaign includes an exhibition of road safety messages, posters and videos. A specially designed traffic park for children to increase awareness on traffic safety has also been launched.
In addition, numerous new sign-boards displaying safety messages have been erected along the highways of Salalah-Mirbat.
Lim Yeow Keong, general manager of Sembcorp, the diamond sponsor for the campaign, said: “We are proud to support this vital initiative in our local community. It is to the great credit of the Wali of Mirbat and the Royal Oman Police of Mirbat that they have created this opportunity to educate everyone to be safer on the roads.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show